Monday, February 18, 2008

If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words...

When I began watching Miami Ink on TLC, I instantly fell in love with the work of Kat Von D-- an artist known for her amazing portrait work. On every show, it seemed there was at least one client who came in to see Kat and get a memorial tattoo. One of my personal favorites was a tattoo of a little girl's face, but it was done in bubbles (its hard to explain, I know). I have searched for the picture, but unfortunately I can't find it. Anyway- the young couple had lost their daughter to terminal illness, and the mother wanted the tattoo to serve as a permanent reminder. It was beautiful, and I will admit to crying while watching the episode.

Moving on. I loved watching Kat create these intricate portraits. It was amazing to see how well the tattoos always turned out, and how closely they always resembled the pictures.

These tattoos are true works of art. Not that I'm downplaying other tattoos. But when an artist can use needles to create almost an exact replica of a photograph, I am very impressed. I decided to include a few of my favorites for your viewing pleasure.


No comments: