Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Five Painful Places to Get a Tattoo

While doing some tattoo searching this week, I found an article on Newsweek’s website entitled “Five Painful Places to Get a Tattoo.” Hm. This has to be good, I thought to myself. Because in reality, shouldn’t any place on your body be a viable point for this list? Repeatedly poking a needle into your skin is going to be a little on the painful side. The degree of pain depends on the individual. When I got my first tattoo on my foot, people told me I was crazy- that it would hurt so much because the skin was so close to bone. I laughed it off, and my tattoo really wasn’t that bad. To me, it all comes down to the individual’s pain tolerance. If you can stand the pain, one place really shouldn’t differ much from the next.

Anyway, the article was pretty decent. It addressed my first concern by saying, “Being pricked repeatedly with a needle hurts no matter where it's done, but some body spots are more sensitive than others.” Okay, thank you.

The five most sensitive spots they listed were the eyeball, the mons pubis, the top of the foot or ankle, behind the ear, or the chest above your ribcage. Alright, I don’t retract my previous statement, but I have to agree. There is no way you could convince me to tattoo my eyeball or my mons pubis [insert disgusted face and sincerest sympathy for the dedicated tattoo artists who perform these requests]. Still, the thought of pain has yet to be a factor in my tattoo choices, so I think I’ll be alright.

2 comments:

kimberly s said...

My sister has a tattoo on the top of each foot and people told her the same thing. It was almost enough to stop her from getting it done, but it was the only place she wanted a tattoo so she did it anyway. And she barely felt a thing. It's definitely an individual pain tolerance thing.

eugenia said...

Eyeball, really?