Saturday, February 23, 2008

My Arm Is Ringing, I Have To Take This...

Millions upon millions of people across the world have mobile phones. The cell phone industry is HUGE right now. There is a lot of competition on who has the best cell phone, plan, coverage, etc. on the market. The iPhone pretty much takes the cake (in my opinion, anyway).

However, this is pretty amazing. While it is completely theoretical at the moment, a man named Jim Mielke is working on a cell phone that would be implanted in your arm. Mielke entered his idea in the Greener Gadgets Design Competition 2008. The product is called the Digital Tattoo Interface. When the phone rings, a two-by-four inch tattoo of a phone display and keypad appears on your skin.

Tattoos with a function?! That's pretty awesome. Who wants to bet that if this device comes to fruition, Apple will patent it and sell it for $7,000 dollars?

4 comments:

Todd Bursztyn said...

Pretty awesome, and pretty scary. It's surely marketable to neo-techo-freaks that feel like sacrificing their humanity to become a cyborg hipster at the forefront of the digital age, but what is the cost? 7,000 dollars, apparently...

Mike Pena said...

I have real mixed feeling about something like this.

If something like this can seriously be done, then... wow.

Ive always been one to say that I would never get a tattoo however this makes me think twice. Pretty crazy stuff. Can't wait to hear more about this, if you come across anything else please be sure to mention it!

Babz said...

I don't know, implanted in your arm? I think I would hold off on this phone.

Michelle F said...

This is scary. Oh my. I think we would be dehumanizing ourselves. We'd become more like robots. The movie, Bladerunner, comes to mind.